Most people would think that marijuana can only be consumed by smoking it. In fact, they never even have thought that marijuana can be consumed in a way that makes it safer and wouldn’t cause much disturbance to your lungs.
One of the ways of consuming marijuana is turning it into a beverage or in this case, by making a marijuana tea. A marijuana tea is a treat that is soothing which also provides a calming high that is ideal for stress or pain relief. The purpose of consuming it like a tea is to extract the potent chemical found in marijuana known as THC. To extract the THC, butter or another fat must be heated along with the tea.
To make that classic marijuana tea, you will need the following:
- ½ gram marijuana buds
- ½ tsp. Butter
- 1 ½ cups Water
- Tea Bag (any flavor)
- Sugar or Honey (optional)
- Grind the marijuana buds. Start out by separating the stems and the seeds when you need to. Use a grinder or chop up the buds using a sharp knife until you are able to achieve a finely chopped but not completely powdered texture.
- Mix the buds with butter. Place the buds and butter in a bowl and use a wooden spoon to mix them together and make sure that each of the pieces are coated in butter. These grounds need to be completely coated but not soaked in butter because too much of it might inhibit the release of THC.
Note: To achieve a more potent marijuana tea, you need to extract the THC from the plant. THC is not water-soluble so you need to use a fatty substance to cling to under the high heat. The mixture of the high heat from the fat of the butter and hot water will extract the THC from the ground buds and will allow you to ingest it.
- Empty a tea bag and replace the contents with the marijuana butter mixture. Cut off the top of the bag using a scissors and empty its contents. Use a spoon to transfer the ground marijuana into the tea bag then fold the cut out part several times and seal it well to prevent the contents from spilling out.
Note: If you have a metal tea ball then you can use it instead. You can also use a coffee filter for this. Place the ground marijuana in the center of the filter then get the edges together and tie it up to form a little tea bag.
- Use a stove to bring the water to a simmer. Pour the water into a small pan and set the fire on the stove to medium heat so that it will bring it to a simmer rather than a full boil.
- Simmer the teabag in the hot water for about 30 minutes. When the mixture starts to boil, reduce the heat. If the water level is getting low, then add just a bit more so that it won’t completely evaporate.
- Turn off heat and remove the teabag. Take note that marijuana tea can still be hot so allow it to cool off for about 5 minutes. For a flavored tea, add another teabag during the last 3 minutes of simmering.
- For added taste, stir in some sugar or honey. For it to take into full effect, you will have to wait 45-60 minutes for it to kick in.
Note: Even a ½ gram of this tea will create a strong high effect.